Monday, September 23, 2013

Saying 'So Long' To An Old Friend

Many years ago (4th grade to be exact), I met Mr. Rausch for the first time.  He came to our church / school to be the music director / teacher.  I very vividly remember sitting at the piano in the Fellowship Hall at our church "auditioning" for the music department.  Having taken piano lessons for a few years, I was familiar with music, so he grilled me pretty hard.  He also told me the Lord had given me a lot of musical talent and encouraged me to use my talents to serve and praise the Lord.

Any and all love I have for music, I attribute to his ministry. He not only educated us and challenged us to play and sing better, he bounced around (literally) with the joy of the Lord exuding from every part of his body -- giving us a living example to follow!  Music moves me in a way I can hardly describe.  As a teen, I remember countless times going to the piano and playing to lift my spirit.  To this day, music is my quick "go-to" for encouragement, and the Lord often speaks to my heart through music.  The Lord still uses my musical abilities -- I play piano and sing at church in choir and in a ladies trio.  Sometime I can't keep from singing along while playing for the congregation.  I'm not sure if there is a protocol as to whether that is acceptable or not, but I can't help it!  And to think I was only one of thousands that he influenced in his lifetime.

Many happy memories from my childhood revolve around music.  I played clarinet in band (elementary band through high school band) and in a woodwind ensemble as well as clarinet duets with Mr. Rausch.  If I remember correctly, lessons were $4 a week.  Even in the late 80s and early 90s, that was cheap!  He just loved music and to teach students.  Even as elementary students, he made us feel important and special.  He would pick songs like John Phillip Sousa's "Stars and Stripes Forever", assign parts to each band - elementary, junior high and high school -- and have us play it together at a school assembly.  Talk about feeling like a big shot as a little 4th grader playing with the seniors in high school!!  A real self-confidence booster.  I also sang in elementary and junior high choir.  He asked me to sing tenor in our high school choir.  Our choir placing first in state competition singing the "Hallelujah Chorus" (and a cappella on occasion), and singing at the state capital rotunda on the National Day of Prayer were real highlights for me.  Talk about awesome acoustics!!  As much as I love a full choir, I have a special place in my heart for ladies groups.  He assembled a ladies' ensemble and wrote arrangements for us to sing.  My favorites were "At Calvary" and "God Makes No Mistakes."  When my friend was stricken with cancer a couple years ago, some of us girls from the ensemble gathered from OH, PA and NY to sing "God Makes No Mistakes" one last time.

Mr. Paul A. Rausch passed away Sunday evening after a short bout with an unexplained illness.  His passing has caused me to reflect more deeply on the many memories while under his tutelage.  The Rausch's had a great impact on my life as teachers throughout junior high and high school.  (Mrs. Rausch taught 8th grade homeroom and English as well as a couple years of Home Ec -- skills I still use today).  They are two of a few influences for which I am most incredibly grateful.

A humble, Godly man who no doubt has already assembled a choir of angels or saints in heaven and is bouncing on his toes as he leads them in the hymns of the faith!  "So long" to a friend who, as he signed all the music he wrote / arranged, showed through his life . . . "God Be Praised!"


Please be in prayer for the Rausch family in the difficult days ahead.  If it makes it easier to remember, pray for "Wifey" (aka. Mrs. Rausch) as a huge void has been left in her life.  You always knew where Mr. Rausch was because he could not be silent -- always singing or humming wherever he went.

Here's a song he led at the church I grew up in during their 50th anniversary service.  If I ever get my hands on the VHS tapes my parents have from my band and duet days, I'd love to transfer them and post them here.

No comments:

Post a Comment