Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Goodbye, Pap

Some good memories I have of visiting my Pap's farm were walking barefoot through the soft, newly plowed dirt where Pap was going to plant his huge gardens - I remember he planted a whole row of waxed beans just for me one year.  My siblings and I would climb the apple trees in his yard, and we'd take long, exporatory walks in the woods with my dad.  We'd pet all his coon dogs along the path to the woods.
 
Over the last few months, my 87-year old grandfather's health has been declining.  He had congestive heart failure among other health issues.  We were able to visit him when we were in Ohio for Christmas and again at the end of January when we went up to celebrate Gramma's birthday.
 
A few weeks ago, he was put in a nursing home to help with rehab after a visit in the hospital.  The doctor didn't feel he would come home from the nursing home.  The last couple weeks his health began to decline -- kidney failure, fluid build-up, etc.  He didn't feel like eating much, but the medical staff said his heart would give out before his lack of eating would be a problem.
 
Last evening, he took a turn for the worse.  He became almost completely unresponsive.  My dad (Papaw) stayed with him through the night.  He was able to rest peacefully since around 2 am.  This morning as I was talking to my Dad on the phone, Pap slipped into eternity.  Even though we didn't have a real close relationship with that side of the family, we are thankful he was saved and is now in Heaven.
 
Pap from his days in the Navy

Pap and Nan with me and my siblings - July 2010

No comments:

Post a Comment